Things to do Around Pinehurst this Weekend – Weekend of June 17 – 19
Friday, June 17th
Meet the Author
- Karin Lorene Zipf will discuss Bad Girls at Samarcand
- The story is about how North Carolina forcibly sterelized more than 2,000 women and girls between 1929 and 1950.
- 5 pm at The Country Bookshop, 140 NW Broad Street, Southern Pines. 910 692-3211
Saturday, June 18th
- Maker Saturdays let students explore technology in a relaxed environment.
- 2 – 3 pm at Southern Pines Public Library, 170 W. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines. 910 692-8235
Meet the Artist at Work
- Visit with artist Carlie Roberts and learn about his techniques and background in art.
- 12 – 3pm at Hollyhocks Art Gallery, 905 Linden Road, Pinehurst. 910 255-0665 hollyhocksartgallery.com
- Bend it Like Beckham
- The daughter of orthodox Sikh rebels against her parents’ traditionalism and joins a soccer team.
- 2 pm at Southern Pines Public Library, 170 W. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines. 910 692-8235
Meet the Author
- Leigh Himes will discuss The One That Got Away
- The story is about the choices we make in love and life.
- 3 pm at The Country Bookshop, 140 NW Broad Street, Southern Pines. 910 692-3211
- Abigail Dowd plays at the Wine Cellar and Tasting Room.
- 7 – 10 pm 241-A NE Broad Street, Southern Pines. 910 692-3066
Sunday, June 19th – Happy Father’s Day!
Sunday Kids Movie
- Space Jam
- The Looney Tunes gang joins Michael Jordan for this live-action/animated feature about a basketball game with a ruthless group of unsavory, outer space creatures.
- Snacks provided by Friends of the Library
- Free to the public
- 2:30 – 4:30 pm at Southern Pines Public Library, 170 W. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines. 910 692-8235
Weymouth Woods Nature Study
- “Father’s Day Hike”
- Celebrate the day with a hike back in time to learn how fathers provided food, shelter and income from the longleaf pine forest for their familes.
- Bring water and bug spray and join a ranger at the Vistor Center for the start of the hike.
- 3 pm at Weymouth Woods-Sandhills Nature Preserve, 1024 Fort Bragg Road, Southern Pines. 910 692-2167
Live Music at the Rooster’s Wife
- Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley
- $15 in advance, $20 at the door
- 6:46 pm (doors open at 6) at The Poplar Knight Spot, 114 Knight St., Aberdeen. 910 944-7502 or theroosterswife.org