Things to do around Pinehurst this Weekend! – 5/20 – 5/23
Friday, May 20
The Color of Courage
- Storytellers Mitch Capel and Sonny Kelly preforming the gut-wrenching, untold stories of African American soldiers fighting for freedom during the Civil War.
- $20 for Adults, $15 for groups of 10 or more
- 7:30 pm at Sunrise Theater, 250 NW Broad Street, Southern Pines. 910 692-8501
Family Movie Night
- Inside Out, an animated family comedy-drama adventure.
- 94 minute runtime
- Arrive early for a limbo contest, movie trivia, and games.
- Popcorn, candy, and drinks available for purchase, picnic baskets are also welcomed!
- 7:30 – 10 pm (Movie starts at 8:15) at Rassie Wicker Park, 10 Rassie Wicker Drive, PInehurst. 910 295-1900
Movie in the Pines
- Alvin and the Chipmunks – The Road Chip
- Bring a blanket or chair
- Concessions will be available.
- Come early for good seating and pre-movie games!
- Special preformance before the movie by the Army Ground Forces Band Loose Cannons.
- 6:45 – 9 pm (Movie starts at 7:30) at the Downtown Park, 145 SE Broad Street, Southern Pines. 910 692-7376
Saturday, May 21
Pet Microchip Clinic
- This clinic for cats and dogs is offered by Animal Advocates of Moore County, in conjunction with the village of Pinehurst.
- There will be cats and dogs available for adoption during the clinic.
- $20 to have your pet microchiped, $5 for a nail trimming.
- 9 am – 12 pm at Village Hall, 395 Magnolia Road, Pinehurst, 910 944-5098
Meet the Artist at Work
- Visit with artist Charlie Roberts and learn about his techniques and background in art.
- 12 – 3pm at Hollyhocks Art Gallery, 905 Linden Road, Pinehurst. 910 255-0665 hollyhocksartgallery.com
Weymouth Center Gala
- “A Heritage Affair,” celebrating the storied past, vibrant present, and bright future of Weymouth.
- The evening includes music, art (featuring a live art installation), dining and dancing under the stars.
- $80 for members, $90 for non-members
- 6:30 – 11:30 pm at Weymouth Center for Arts & Humanities, 555 E. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines. 910 692-6261 or weymouthcenter.org
Sunday, May 22
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Part of the Sunday Film Series at Southern Pines Public Library.
- This movie is a thrilling sontinuation of an epic space opera, where an ex-stormtrooper and a desert dwelling scavenger get involved in a glactic war when they find and assist a droid carrying a map to Luke Skywalker.
- 2:30 pm at Southern Pines Public Library, 170 W. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines. 910 692-8235 or sppl.net
Weymouth Woods Nature Study
- “Snakes of the Sandhills”
- Snakes are creatures of great beauty and inspire awe and caution!
- Learn about them and how to identify venomous and non-venomous snakes and see live specimens!
- 3 pm at Weymouth Woods-Sandhills Nature Preserve, 1024 Fort Bragg Road, Southern Pines. 910 692-2167
Live Music at the Rooster’s Wife
- The Chris Henry Band
- $12 in advance, $15 at the door
- 6:46 pm (doors open at 6) at The Poplar Knight Spot, 114 Knight St., Aberdeen. 910 944-7502 or theroosterswife.org